Growth & Development

I don't want to be one of those people who follow the cliche of "New year, New me" but truthfully once the new year hit I felt motivated to make this a productive year and I have many goals! I already had things planned out for this year such as the purchase of a new car, establishing credit, getting healthy and fit, and figuring out what it is that I really want to do career-wise.

An idea that I came up with is to set monthly goals/challenges for myself to complete. The challenge I'm currently working on is a 30 day bed making challenge; I felt that it was something easy to start off with to help create some sort of routine and I wanted to start forming good habits. On top of that challenge I have a few goals that I would like to complete this month as well. I've been wanting to rearrange my room for sometime so that's on the list of things to do as well as organizing my things and going through everything I own. My goal is to downsize and try to live a very minimalistic lifestyle to promote productivity and positivity. I have a very small room so it becomes messy quickly and its stressful living in a mess so I believe the lesser items I own the happier I'll be overall.

I already listed my main goals for this year but I have a few more that I think are worth mentioning. Saving money is a huge goal of mine for this year. I wanna be able to have money so I can buy things that I need and so I can pay my bills but I want to have enough incase I ever have emergencies or unexpected expense. In the past I use to just carelessly spend my money on clothing, food, and unnecessary things and when I needed money to fix my car that broke down on the side of the road I had $45 to my name. I never want to be in that position again because it wasn't only me that was affected by that situation but my parents were as well. I had to drive my mom's car to work and school for a couple of months until she picked out and bought a new car for me (which I payed her back for) but it was stressful and embarrassing that I couldn't pay for a new car at that time.

The biggest goal of mine this year is to go to bed at a decent time and wake up at a decent time. I work late nights so I'm typically getting out of work at 11pm and I usually spend all night doing things I should've done during the day. I'd say my regular bed time is 6am but lately it's getting later and later in the day and some days I go without sleep entirely. Ive always been a night owl but as I've gotten older the later I've started to stay up and it's not like I want to, I'll shut everything off and close my eyes for hours and not fall asleep. I'm not sure if I actually have insomnia because I wasn't diagnosed with it but if I gave my doctor a visit I'm sure she would put me on the leading sleep medication. I'm determined to get into a regular sleeping pattern without medication because I don't believe I have insomnia I think it's just years of shitty sleep schedules that has me all messed up. So the goal is to at least go to bed by 12:30am every night and be up at 8:30am every morning, I want to make sure I'm getting the recommend amount of sleep that my body requires instead of getting 3-5 hours and feeling unrested and cranky.

Last goal I'm going to talk about in this post is educating myself. I've always loved learning but I never did well in a school setting that's why I decided not to go to college. School made me feel too overwhelmed and I found it hard to focus on subjects that I didn't find interesting. I know everyone says college is different then high school but at this point in my life I'm not interested in sitting in a classroom listening to someone lecture. I know there's online schools as well but that is also out of the question. I once had to do summer school and the course was online but every time I would go to do it I would easily get distracted by something. I never finished the course and that resulted in me having to do 6 more months of high school meaning I graduated with a totally different class then my own. So instead of going to school I would like to take it upon myself to study subjects that I find interesting. I've always loved english, history, art, science, and food so these would be the areas I would like to focus my attention on. There's so much history just in New England and there's so many historic places and museums that I would like to go to and experience first hand. There are so many authors/poets that have amazing work and I want to experience some of the classics and even dive deeper into some of the author/poets I learned about in high school. I love eating so clearly food is a subject I'd like to study but I want to dive deeper into the nutrition side of it and get a clear understanding of the things I'm putting inside my body. Art is one of my passions every little thing inside me tells me to create and bring things in my mind to life. I've really only experimented with a few art styles and materials but I want to step out of my comfort zone and create different things and push myself to better my artistic skills in different areas. My love for science comes from watching segments of Bill Nye's show when I was in school, every time there was a tv in the classroom I knew Bill was going to be on the screen explaining something so complex in such a simple way. I'm more interested in life science and biology then other aspects but they all kind of come together so I'd like to explore the other areas of science that I didn't pay too much attention to in school.

I have a lot on my plate for 2018 but I'm excited to work on myself and grow as a person and develop new skills! I've never been more excited about my life then I am right now, I feel as if I'm taking a step in the right direction by setting these goals and challenges for myself. Overall I think I'll be a better, more intelligent, healthy, and positive person by the time we reach 2019. Here's to a "New year, New me!"










Comments

Popular Posts