What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

You know when you're little and you get asked the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Well to be quite honest I never knew how to answer that, I never had a clue of what I wanted to be. Don't get me wrong I've seen or heard of plenty of jobs that sound amazing and look fun but when I try to picture myself doing any of them, I can't. I also don't like when people say you should do a job based on what you like doing because I find when I feel forced to do something, I start to dislike it. I don't believe there is a perfect job out there for me and I'm okay with that but if I had the opportunity to create my perfect job I would do it in a heartbeat.

To me the perfect job would be in the artistic field, I love every art form even though I'm only good at a few. Even though art is something that I love and I know I just stated I hate when people say you should do what you love but my main reasoning behind saying that is if you go into a field you love you're repeatedly doing that job every single day and after a while it'll begin to feel forced and repetitive and you'll hate the thing you once loved. How I would change it from feeling forced and repetitive is by switching up what I do every day so painting on Monday, on Tuesday film a video, on Wednesday write a blog post, and so on. I wouldn't want a job that only consists of doing the same thing every day I would get bored and become unmotivated.

When I was in my senior year of high school I felt so lost because it felt like everyone around me had set goals and futures. Everyone knew what they wanted to do after they got out of school and I was kind of just stuck feeling like I didn't have a clue (which I still don't) everyone knew they'd either be going off to college, joining the military, getting a full-time job, or taking time off to travel. I was envious of most of them because their lives were all figured out and I wanted nothing more than to have mine figured out as well, I didn't want to roam around aimlessly but I did for a year, I was uncertain about everything. It took some time to get a grip on what I wanted from life I mean I still don't have a career path figured out, I'm just trying to stick it out at my current job until I make another advancement or another job offer comes along. But other than a career path the other parts of my life like my social, mental, financial, and physical I have goals for each that I hope to achieve. I want to have a social life outside of work I want to have friends to hang out with, I want to have a stable mental health and not go off the rails every couple of months, I want to have money to support myself, and I want to have a body that I'm proud of. The things I'm working towards may not be job-related but these are aspects of my life that I dreamed of having an exact way. Maybe these parts of my life are what I wanted to achieve when I grew up, maybe the job part isn't so important. I mean as long as I can enjoy the life I'm building who cares what job I have.

My final words are don't stress if you still haven't got a clue about what it is you want to do because even though everyone around you seems like they've got it all figured out, I'm sure they don't. I think everyone is just as lost as you and me, maybe it's not in the job area of their lives but they could have no idea what it is they want from other aspects of their lives. We're all kind of wandering around aimlessly and that's okay because I think one day everything will fall into place and we'll all know how we want our lives to be. So don't sweat it, you're right where you're supposed to be!

Comments

Popular Posts